Fall Growing in
Tips for Growing Turnips in Arkansas:
- Sunlit Spot: Choose a sunny location for your turnip patch.
- Soil Preparation: Cultivate the soil and enrich it with plant food.
- Planting Depth: Sow turnip seeds at a depth of 1/8 to 1/4 inch, spacing them 2 to 3 inches apart.
- Firm Soil: Firm the soil over the seeds to promote good seed-to-soil contact.
- Germination: Expect germination to occur in 5 to 10 days.
- Thinning: In the garden, allow 3 to 4 inches between turnip plants.
- Shallow Planting: Shallow planting helps maintain warmer soil, but it's essential to keep the soil consistently moist until seedlings emerge.
- Moisture Management: Keep the soil surface moist until the turnip seedlings emerge.